Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Outsiders

One of my all time favorite movies, that was originally a best selling book, was "The Outsiders". This movie may have had the all time greatest cast, from top to bottom, of any movie. How about these names? Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Ralph Macchio, Emilio Estevez, Rob Lowe, Diane Lane, Leif Garret, and Matt Dillon.

The movie also has my favorite character name of all time, Sodapop Curtis. I just think it is a cool name. So cool, in fact, that I begged my wife to let us name a child Sodapop, but should wouldn't go for it. (She wanted S names and Sodapop is an S name) If you have seen the movie or read the book, you know that Sodapop was one of three brothers. His youngest brother (And the star of the movie/book) was named Ponyboy, another original name. Then there was the oldest brother, Darrell. Really? Darrell? Sodapop, Ponyboy, and then Darrell? I think the author must have gotten tired of coming up with really cool names. Not that Darrell isn't a fine name, but it is nothing compared to Sodapop or Ponyboy!

If you have never seen the movie or read the book, I would suggest doing so. Both are great. If you have read the book or seen the movie, I have 2 words for you, "Stay Golden".

2 comments:

Nicole Shepherd said...

I love this book! Reading this blog post made me want to reread the book. However, I'm glad that Slade's name is not Soda Pop!

Mim said...

Sold! With this endorsement from you and Nicole, I want to read the book or at least see the movie.